Sunday, January 11, 2015

Kvothe's First Folly

  I'm a huge Patrick Rothfuss fan.The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear are to my mind - the finest fantasy books ever written and the Slow Regard of Silent Things just might be the only "poem" I've ever cared for - never mind loved.  I've read his books twice each and I very often go to sleep or drive around with the Audiobooks playing in the background.  That said there are dozen - if not hundreds of decisions his protagonist makes that drive me crazy.  But the first and foremost - the one I want to ask him about - the most glaring to me comes fairly early in the first  book.  Kvothe is admitted to the University - they ask him for his surname for the paperwork "Son of?"   Arliden.  "Arliden the Bard" Master Lorren asks.  Kvothe confirms and NEVER EVER asks how Lorren knew his father.  Its just a wash.  A solid year passes and they have private conversations and numerous meetings - but it never comes up again.  Now I understand an a con or in an interview Rothfuss was asked about it and responded that Lorren knows about Arliden because of the many songs he's written which require validation or attribution.  But that doesn't help me understand why or how Kvothe never even thinks about asking "How did you know my father?"  Sleeping-mind, Post Traumatic Stress, Doors of Stone.   There are a dozen explanations, but none of them trump what is supposed to be insatiable curiosity, and damn it I want to know the reason.  There has to be one beyond "third book revelation"

No comments:

Post a Comment